NORTH ALABAMA – According to the National Weather Service (NWS) Office in Huntsville, “A Winter Storm Warning has been issued for the entire Tennessee Valley from 6 p.m. Tonight (Sunday) to 6 a.m. Tuesday.
The NWS says significant ice accumulations from Sunday evening through Monday night will translate into very hazardous travel conditions due to ice & sleet covered roadways. They are encouraging limiting travel if at all possible late Sunday through Monday night and have your Winter Emergency Kit ready!”
Early Sunday morning, the director of marketing sent out a news release stating the hospital’s vaccine clinic is closed Monday & Tuesday.
East Limestone Volunteer Fire Department reported a glaze of ice on trees and power lines already in Athens.
The Limestone County Emergency Management Agency reported just after Noon that bridges and overpasses in the county have begun to ice over. They urge all drivers to use caution if you have to be on the roads.
A nixle advisory from the City of Athens said Athens Street & Electric departments are on standby in case icy conditions develop during this winter storm warning. Street Dept. Manager Dolph Bradford said crews spent 11 hours Saturday starting around 2:30 a.m. to sand bridges in the city and around Athens-Limestone Hospital.
“The interstate bridges were especially slick as were areas on Nuclear Plant Road and Alabama 251,” Bradford said. “We will go out again this afternoon (Sunday), and we have crews on standby.”
Even if streets appear clear, bridges can be icy and there may be black ice on the streets, Bradford said.
Electric Department Manager Blair Davis said he also has crews on standby in case ice causes power outages.
Around 1 p.m Sunday, I received a note from a friend that stated the Forrest Street bridges in the City of Athens are complete ice.
Limestone EMA shared this notice from the Limestone County Health Department
Sunday afternoon, CCS Garbage Service, Inc. posted a notice on their Facebook page they are monitoring the roads and if they become impassable they will delay trash pickup in the county.
The Alabama Department of Transportation sent out a news release that is titled ‘Ice threatens major travel impacts. Motorists strongly urged to avoid travel into Wednesday.’
The Limestone County Sheriff’s Office is encouraging drivers to use caution when traveling the roads throughout Limestone County.
3:20 p.m. Sunday update from the NWS in Huntsville
The NWS in Huntsville plans to host a Facebook Live at 5 p.m. central time to review their winter weather forecast and safety information.
Just before 5:30 p.m. on Sunday, Alabama Governor Kay Ivey issued a State of Emergency for 28 counties out of an abundance of caution. The governor’s office says issuing this state of emergency is a precautionary measure in the instance the state is severely impacted due to freezing weather. You can read the full state of emergency by clicking here.
Governor Ivey reminds Alabamians to stay up-to-speed on the latest weather forecasts and use caution when driving.
The Alabama Law Enforcement Agency has released recommendations and preparedness tips for this winter storm.
The NWS in Huntsville is starting to get reports of several car wrecks across Northwest Alabama. They are encouraging everyone to stay put and stay safe as this weather event has begun.
8:35 PM Sunday evening radar update from NWS Huntsville
SUNDAY 9:07 PM – According to the Limestone County Commission, District 4 Commissioner LaDon Townsend is out traveling the roads and reporting deteriorating conditions on roads and bridges in his district. Commissioner Townsend is encouraging everyone to please use extreme caution if you must travel the roads. Some specific roads include all of Highway 99, All of Easter Ferry Road, all of New Cut Road, and the bridge at Sportsman Park.
SUNDAY 9:43 PM – According to Holly Hollman with the City of Athens, due to the threat of winter weather, Monday’s Defensive Driving Course at Athens Municipal Court is canceled. Those scheduled to attend will receive a new order with a new date. It will be emailed within the next week. Those who do not receive a new order by noon on Friday, Feb.19, please call 256-233-8733 or email at email@example.com.
POSTPONEMENTS & CANCELLATIONS IMPACTING LIMESTONE COUNTY
- Athens-Limestone Hospital Vaccine Clinic – closed Monday, February 15 and Tuesday, February 16. Everyone with an appointment will be called and rescheduled as soon as possible. Felicia Lambert, Director of Marketing for the Hospital, says the hospital is asking you to avoid calling the hospital so that their scheduling team can focus on getting all appointments rescheduled. Lambert notes that people who are scheduled to receive second doses will receive priority scheduling to ensure they are within their vaccination window.
- Limestone County Health Department – plans to close on Monday, February 15 due to weather conditions that could impact the roadways. In a news release, the health department states there are a large number of patients scheduled to return for their second dose of the COVID-19 vaccine. The health department plans to honor all of the second doses over the next two weeks.
- CCS Garbage Service, Inc. – is monitoring weather conditions and will advise of any delays in garbage pickup in Limestone County.
- Valley Internal Medicine Athens closed Monday and half a day on Tuesday due to winter weather warnings.
- Chick-Fil-A Athens – delay opening until 10:30 a.m.
- Athens-Limestone County Recycling Center – closed Monday due to the potential for icy roads. In a social media post, officials with the center said there will be no drop off services.
- Village Veterinary Clinic – closed Monday
- For the safety of students, faculty, and staff, the Athens State University campus will be closed on Monday, February 15, 2021, due to the potential for inclement weather and hazardous road conditions. A determination will be made concerning operations on Tuesday, February 16 after further assessment.
- Greater Ardmore Chamber of Commerce closed Monday due to weather.
- All campuses of Calhoun Community College are closed Monday due to weather.
- Tammy’s Fine Jewelry in downtown Athens is closed due to weather.
- TAB’s Market‘s two locations in East Limestone are operating on a modified schedule
CLOSURES DUE TO THE PRESIDENTS’ DAY HOLIDAY IN LIMESTONE COUNTY
- Limestone County Schools – closed Monday, February 15 for Presidents’ Day and Tuesday, February 16 for professional development.
- Athens City Schools – closed Monday, February 15 for Presidents’ Day
- All Limestone County Commission Offices will be closed Monday, February 15, 2021, in observance of Presidents’ Day.
- City of Athens offices will be closed Monday, Feb. 15, in observance of President’s Day.
TWEETS FROM OTHER OFFICIAL ACCOUNTS FROM NORTH ALABAMA AND SOUTHERN TENNESSEE.
TWEETS FROM OTHER OFFICIAL SCHOOLS FROM NORTH ALABAMA AND SOUTHERN TENNESSEE. (MANY ARE ALREADY CLOSED ON MONDAY DUE TO THE PRESIDENTS’ DAY HOLIDAY)
TWEETS REGARDING THIS EVENT FROM AROUND NORTH ALABAMA & SOUTHERN TENNESSEE.
INFORMATION FROM OTHER OFFICIAL BUSINESS ACCOUNTS FROM NORTH ALABAMA AND SOUTHERN TENNESSEE.